Sunday, March 11, 2007

Green Smoothies

How did I not know about green smoothies 'til now? I'm the smoothie queen - whippin' up all sorts of wicked concoctions - yet it never occurred to me to add greens.

Basically, take any smoothie recipe you like, add a couple handfuls of chopped greens, and blend well. I made a green smoothie yesterday with spinach (yum) and another with arugula (never again) and romaine. Even though I added a negligible amount of arugula, the peppery taste permeated the smoothie - too much for my liking. This morning's smoothie was stellar though:
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 C coconut water
  • 1/2 of a lime, juiced
  • 1 medium banana
  • frozen pineapple chunks (maybe 1/3 C)
  • 1/4 of a papaya
  • 1 T cilantro leaves, packed
  • 1/2 T ground flax
  • 1 t chopped ginger
  • 2 handfuls of chopped greens (kale, mustard greens and collards)
Except for the arugula fiasco, you cannot taste the greens over the fruit. I did notice the cilantro in this morning's smoothie, but I wanted to. It was a lovely, subtle flavor that complimented the tropical fruits beautifully.

1 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger jessica said...

love cilantro in my smoothie. and love arugula too...nice kick it gives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home